2.12.07

Vanilla Gifts



December is 'baking month' for me. Every year, my friends expect some special gifts directly from my kitchen. My Christmas starts with oven at full speed, baking several cookie recipes that will go together in jars, packs or any other recipient. Last year, my cookies went in coffee cans that my friends kept and reused - every time I see those cans at their places I always put a silly smile. I don't have to say that everybody has already started asking for cookies' - so to get the new season going, I've tried a new recipe. It's Donna Hay's.



Vanilla Cookies
Adapted from Donna Hay, The New Cook

(36 cookies)

180 grs unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg

2 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
2 Tbsp coarsely chopped almonds (optional)

Mix butter, sugar and vanilla into a bowl, until creamy. Add sifted flour gradually, stirring constantly until well creamed. Mix in the egg, quickly kneading dough. Cover with film and chill for at least 30 minutes. Divide into 2 pieces, roll one on sesame seeds and other on almonds. Roll out and cut. Bake in a medium slow oven (180º C) for 12 minutes.

3 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Yum! Vanilla AND sesame seeds? That sounds like pure heaven!

Anonymous said...

It looks like your blog is off to a beautiful start! It's lovely :) Those cookies aren't half bad either!

La Madame Chapeau said...

I saw your blog at DBs Blog, and the first thing my eyes catched is this vanilla cookies!

And they seem soooo beautiful. The romatic smell of vanilla always attracjts me...

Wishing you a happy new year...
Best regards...