31.12.07

With or without?



True chili has beef in it. That's what I've been told - it doesn't mean I'm willing to cook it that way. Beans are full of protein - a meat-free chili recipe is not only delicious but also nutritionally balanced. That's my chili and I've got no complains. My beloved committed carnivores became fans!

My Veggie Chili

Serves 4

1 small eggplant, sliced
1 small zucchini, cubed
1 small turnip, cubed
1 small red pepper, unseeded and sliced
1/2 cup green beans, diced
1 small jalapeño pepper, unseeded (seeded if you want it to be hot)
1 green onion, chopped
1 glove garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 can (400 grs) diced tomato
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup vegetable stock
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cups cooked kidney beans
Juice 1 small lemon
Fresh cilantro (about 1/2 cup)

In a saucepan, grill sliced eggplant with salt and a little olive oil. Heat olive oil, add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, adding turnip, zucchini, red bell pepper, green beans, and jalapeño. Allow to cook for extra 5 minutes. Add tomato, red wine, stock and spices. Cook for 10 minutes, mix in kidney beans and grilled eggplant, cubed. Season to taste. Once it starts boiling again, add lemon juice and cilantro. Turn heat off. Allow all ingredients to mix together for a couple of minutes. Serve with a slice of good bread.



This is my entry to the RWT Chili Cook-Off, hosted by Tami of Running With Tweezers.

4 comments:

Tablebread said...

Just stopped in to welcome you to the Daring Bakers! I love your site and look forward to seeing some of your creations!

~TableBread
http://tablebread.blogspot.com

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I love veggie chili, and I know carnivores would love this one too. It looks especially hearty and warming--perfect for January.

jd said...

Mmmm! Your veggie chili looks fabulous.

I love vegetarian chili, too. In fact, I finally perfected my own recipe just a few months ago! I'm glad to see that you have a favorite, too.

And you're right - having a delicious veg chili recipe in your cooking arsenal definitely helps to turn non-vegetarians into believers :)

Bradley said...

I love veggie chili as well. Veggie chili has that nice stick to your bones feel about it!