11.9.08

Far... and away

far1

Once in a while, my hubby grabs a cookbook from the shelves (or the floor...) and picks up a recipe. You could make this, he says. It's always something I probably wouldn't choose by myself or simply a meat dish that somehow never makes the top of my list. This time, the Official Taster has put his finger on a Far aux pêches et à la menthe from one of my many French Marabout books. Often referred as Far Breton, a far is a fruity pudding cake, between a flan and a clafoutis, great served for breakfast or as a light dessert. With a kitchen full of stone fruits, the choice was spot on! Nectarines, peppermint (a gift from my lovely friend Marizé) and some slivered almonds... Mesdames et messieurs, voilá!

far2

Nectarine Far with Almonds
Slightly adapted from Isabel Brancq-Lepage, Flans, fars et clafoutis, Marabout.

Serves 6-8

2 cups (500ml) milk
3 eggs
3/4 cup (100grs) all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup (125grs) superfine caster sugar + 2 Tbsp extra to dust
4 ripe (but firm) nectarines
4 peppermint leaves
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 180ºC (360ºF). Butter an ovenproof deep dish (or 6 to 8 individual ramekins) and dust with sugar.

Peel the nectarines, remove stone, and slice into thin pieces. Arrange into the prepared dishes, with the mint leaves randomly disposed.

Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Sift flour and sugar together into a mixing bowl. Slowly, whisk in the milk and eggs, beating until batter is smooth. Pour batter over the fruit. Arrange slivered almonds on top. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden and crusty around the edges. (Do not over bake. The interior should be moist, with a flan-like texture) Sprinkle with sugar. Serve warm, from the dish.


far3

11 comments:

Clumbsy Cookie said...

O teu marido é que sabe! Que boa escolha! Bom, mas a tua execução também é de se lhe tirar o chapéu!

tartasacher said...

Muchas gracias Suzana; me hubiera gustado hacer una receta más especial, pero quería participar y no he tenido mucho tiempo, así que me he decidido por hacer las clásicas, pero con una salstia diferente. Gracias y me encanta todo lo que haces. Besos mil. Seguro que vuelves a ganar. Así te lo deseo

Susan from Food Blogga said...

After seeing how splendid this looks, I think Mr. Taster should start doing more selecting! :)

PheMom said...

That is so gorgeous! I can't wait to try this recipe.

Snooky doodle said...

these look nice and delicious. Wish to try this recipe. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am having a party on wednesday with a French theme... this would be wonderful!

ChichaJo said...

This looks delicious! I only learned of clafoutis from the blogs and now this lovely far...

Chibog in Chief said...

your photograps never fails to astound me!! can't wait to try this recipe! :-) hope you had a great a weekend

Dee said...

Oh, your pictures are so beautiful I can just about taste them from over here!

Deborah said...

first of all, I love the polka dot dishes! I wish I had some! And this looks just delicious. I wish my husband would pick out recipes from time to time!

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

that looks amazing... i love far breton so this must be so good!