24.10.08

HHDD#23 - It's (flavoured) yoghurt!

Pomegranate Yoghurt with Toasted Pistachios

Why do I make the choices I do about my cooking and baking? Research, thinking, personal taste - 90% work, 10% inspiration. Of course, each recipe has a story behind. And I don't always work it that much! It's just my designer's mind, and method, taking over. If we're talking about ice cream flavours, you're allowed to choose 'vanilla' just because. But if you're discussing a project with me that just won't do! I'd love to have years to live as I've repeated these couple of sentences to my students. Because that would mean a very long life for me! Training young people to become designers is not always an easy task but can be quite rewarding.

All this talk? Bordeaux chose a challenging theme to the 23rd edition of Hay hay it's Donna Day: Yoghurt. My first compulsion was to make stracciatella yoghurt. Then I thought, why stracciatella? Er... just because. And it didn't feel right! The choice you make about something can be just a gut feeling. But you have to know why you choose what you choose. Enough cheap talking! Bear with me, I had a tough week at work. ;-)

Pomegranate Yoghurt with Toasted Pistachios

Pomegranate Yoghurt with Toasted Pistachios
Slightly adapted from Donna's recipe, via Marita Says

Serves 4

1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup sugar (or a little less depending on how sweet the pomegranate is)
1 cup chilled plain yogurt
1 cup chilled cream

Prepare a syrup by placing the juice, and sugar in a saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Let it simmer for another 4 minutes and then let it stand for another 5. When the syrup has cooled, add it together with the other ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat until light and creamy.

Serve with pomegranate seeds and toasted pistachios (about 2 Tbps of each per person or to taste).

Notes

Use an old apron to work with pomegranates. If possible work outdoors. (You'll want to remember this. Pomegranate stains are FOREVER!)

Check how to peel and seed a pomegranate here.

For the juice, I used a very large pomegranate. Scoop out the pomegranate seeds with a spoon. Place them in a cloth bag and squeeze out the juice. Strain the juice through a second cloth bag. If you don't have enough juice for the recipe, add a bit of water to the leftover pulp, and adjust the sugar.

To toast the pistachios, place in a dry skillet large enough so they are in one layer, over medium heat. Cook, shaking the pan often, until nuts start to darken, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly before using. Chop.

Pomegranate Yoghurt with Toasted Pistachios

This is my entry for this round of Hay Hay it’s Donna Day, an event originally created by Barbara of Winos and Foodies and now taken under the wings of Bron Marshall.

6 comments:

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Gostei tanto deste yogurtinho! Porquê? Olha, porque sim!

Isabel (pipoka) said...

Mas afinal, vamos lá ver...será do meu (mau) inglês ou tu não chegaste a explicar o porquê?

Com ou sem porquês, gostei muito desta sugestão, não só pelo sabor, como pela cor da romã...além disso, pistachios e romãs lembram-me umas férias maravilhosas na Turquia há uns anos... já chega de justificações!

bjs

Anonymous said...

Beautiful entry. Pistachio and pomegranate sounds like a great combination and very refreshing.

ChichaJo said...

Lovely entry! How I want a taste of that right now! We don't often get pomegranates and when we do they are always imported...Love the color combination of this one too :)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, this would be perfect for breakfast right now, esp as my stomach is growling for some. :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

This is lovely, Suzana.
I have some pomegarnate syrup I made and froze. This seems a good thing to make.