18.12.08

Christmas cookies at last!

White Chocolate and Dried Cranberry Cookies

It has been difficult for me to get into Christmas spirit this year. I still did all my shopping before December's madness settled in but it was pretty much that. I usually start baking the cookies 3 weeks before Christmas to get everything ready for friends and family as they pop up during December. Well, not this year. My sister in law - who lives away from me - promptly gave me a reminder whilst kissing me goodbye the last time we were together about a month ago. Don't you forget about the Christmas cookies! Last weekend, I've finally managed to get the cookies going. The first batch is right out of the oven!

White Chocolate and Dried Cranberry Cookies

White Chocolate and Dried Cranberry Cookies
Adapted from Rachel Allen, Rachel's Favourite Food for Friends, p. 158

Rachel's original recipe here. She calls for 50g soft brown sugar AND 50g caster sugar OR 100g demerara sugar. I'm pretty sure I read that as my intention was to use both sugars. Except I mixed in the soft brown sugar, and completely forgot to add the caster sugar until all cookies were shaped. At this point I've decided to coat the cookies with demerara sugar. Just yummy!

Makes 30-35

2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
50 grs soft brown sugar
1/2 cup (120 grs) butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup (50 grs) mixed dried cranberries and dried cherries
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup (50 grs) old-fashioned porridge oats
1/2 cup (50 grs) ground almonds (a.k.a. almond meal)
100 grs white chocolate, chopped
4 Tbsp demerara sugar, to coat

Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).

Sift the flour and the bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Add sugar, ground almonds, dried fruits, and white chocolate, and mix to combine. Stir in melted butter, and the egg yolks into the dry ingredients until dough forms. (The mixture should be on the soft side.)

Make walnut-sized dough portions, using your hands. Roll each cookie with the demerara sugar to coat. Place them onto a lined baking sheet, and gently push with the palm of your hand to flatten. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a metal rack to cool.

White Chocolate and Dried Cranberry Cookies & Matilde

I'm sending these White Chocolate and Dried Cranberry Cookies over to lovely Susan of the always inspirational Food Blogga for season 2 of Eat Christmas Cookies - a very nice and yummy event Susan organizes for the second consecutive year! You can check all the baking here.

7 comments:

Valentina said...

Oh Suzana, these cookies look beautiful. I can see that the cat is eyeing it big time. i have not got into the xmas spirit this year.i will try and bake something nice today.x

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Então não era para eu ir ai fazer as bolachas?! Olha, ainda bem que já foste adiantando serviço... Este ano também ainda não percebi que vai ser Natal, a viagem deixou-me baralhada... Belas bolachitas, crunchy crunchy, não?

Susan from Food Blogga said...

You're sister-in-law is a smart cookie. ;)

These beauties were worth the wait, Suzana. Thanks!

BumbleVee said...

they look yummy and the first pic is beautiful...

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzana, I'd like to invite you to take some time to drop by at Foodista. We have launched an online food and cooking encyclopedia ala wikipedia.

Snooky doodle said...

these look so festive. A real treat :)

Anonymous said...

They are absolutely delicious looking (and the cat is quite full of charm too). Hope your Holidays are merry!