7.4.09

The best cookies in the whole world

Oat Raisin Almond Cookies

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" - Mark Twain once said after hearing that his obituary had been published in the New York Journal. I feel the same way when I name these the best cookies in the whole world... It's at least questionable since no one has been able to actually taste ALL the cookies in the world. But my other half says these are the best, and the man isn't called Mr. Taster for nothing! Plus, they're a charm to make, and look really nice.

Oat Raisin Almond Cookies

Oat Raisin Almond Cookies

Lightly adapted from Cordon Bleu.

Makes 40

1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (110 grs) firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (100 grs) fine caster sugar
1/2 cup (120 grs) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (100 grs) raisins
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (100 grs) rolled oats
1/2 cup (50 grs) slivered almonds
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp milk

Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Grease oven trays, and line with baking paper. (Or use silicone sheets)

Cream both sugars with the butter. Add the egg, vanilla extract and the milk, and beat until smooth. Sift the flour, the salt and the bicarbonate of soda into another mixing bowl. Add to egg mixture until just combined. Mix in oats, almonds and raisins, and mix until dough forms. (The mixture should be on the soft side.)

With an ice cream spoon, place each portion onto the baking sheet, allowing enough space between each other (5 cm) for spreading. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a metal rack to cool.

My cat approves as well! ;)

Oat Raisin Almond Cookies

UPDATE: These cookies got a mention from Dan Lepard at the Guardian!! I feel honoured specially because his Exceptional baking books have been part of my favourites for a while... Thanks!

7 comments:

ChichaJo said...

They do look and sound divine! :)

Rita R. Carreira said...

Thanks for the recipe; these do look scrumptious. Are the oats instant oats?

BTW, keep an eye on your kitty. Raisins can cause kidney failure in cats and dogs.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Devias abrir uma loja ao lado do Melhor bolo de chocolate do mundo" com as bolachas melhores do mundo! Era sucesso na certa! Eu era cliente de certeza, sou maluquinha por bolachas de aveia! Adorei ver o gatinho! Boa Páscoa!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I like anything with oats in it (except porridge!) so I'm sure these would be good. I especially like it that this recipe isn't full of too many other ingredients.

Suzana Parreira said...

Hi everyone! Thanks for your comments.

@Alfred, I've used rolled oats but I'm assuming instant oats will do as well. Thanks for the info about raisins. My cat is actually a very picky eater - she'll check everything but won't eat. :)

Gourmet Mama said...

That does look delicious. I am not a huge fan of raisins though. Everyone else loves them though. So I might just make a batch just for me. Cute cat by the way.

James said...

Wow..these looks great. This is my favourite cookies. This is very tasty and is easy to make.