17.1.08

Potato, you say?



Yep. Tender Potato Bread! Last November, whilst surfing food blogs, I came across the Daring Bakers. My first thought was What on earth are the Daring Bakers? I'll tell you more about those guys one day but let's move on with the story. Everybody was baking a tender potato bread - I read and read all the wonderful experiences and the tricky moments and drooled with the beautiful breads. Tanna from My Kitchen in Half Cups chose the recipe from Home Baking: Sweet and Savory Traditions from Around the World, a book by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. And what a nice choice!



Original recipe can be found here.

Makes a large loaf and a foccacia

My notes:
. I used about 200 grs of mashed potatos. I'm definitely a rookie so I just went with the beginners.
. The dough is incredibly sticky but once you conquer it, there's no bigger joy!
. I really liked the way the bread turned out - the crust is superb!
. I made a foccacia - my first foccacia!



For the focaccia:
Flatten out the dough to a rectangle about 10 x 15 inches with your palms and fingertips. Transfer the focaccia to parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil, add chopped black olives, sun-dried tomatoes and red onions (thin slices) and sprinkle with dried basil. Cover with plastic and let rise for 20 minutes.
Place a baking stone on a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 200°C.
Dimple the bread all over again with your fingertips. Leaving it on the paper, transfer to the hot baking stone. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack (remove paper) and let cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Coarse sea salt makes a really nice topping.

5 comments:

Laurie Constantino said...

Beautiful crumb on your bread, Suzana, and your focaccia is gorgeous. Congratulations on your first - and very successful - effort!

Anonymous said...

Suzana...this looks mouthwatering!! I wish I had some to go with my breakfast today. Nice work.

Anonymous said...

Your focaccia looks great! :-)

Suzana Parreira said...

Hi Laurie! Thanks! It was a funny effort - that's for sure. ;)

Hi Syrie, wish I could send you some but I don't think that is doable. Thanks for dropping by!

Hi Carrie! Thanks! I've baked it again since my first attempt and it was very nice once again.

Andrea said...

Good for you for tackling another DB challenge. Your bread looks lovely.