14.1.08

Simple, yet elegant



I love easy cooking. That's why I admire Mark Bittman, aka The Minimalist - he can be surprising in the way he prepares easy, fast, yet elegant dishes. But frankly an egg is just an egg! Nevertheless, there are one hundred different ways to cook an egg and it goes well with almost all sort of vegetables and cheese. My sweet, lovely husband was kind enough to forward me The Minimalist; The Simplest Egg, Yet the Most Elegant. And how I loved it! At the same time, Taste Italia featured a similar recipe with mascarpone. That sealed the deal.


Baked eggs with Mascarpone and Spinach

Adapted from Taste Italia, January 2008

Serves 3

3 free-range organic eggs
3 Tbsp Mascarpone (about 60 grs)
100 grs spinach
15 grs unsalted butter, softened
little nutmeg
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh cilantro, chopped

Pre-heat oven to 180ºC. Steam the spinach in a coriander above a pan of boiling water, until slightly wilted. Remove from the heat and press out the excess liquid.
Butter the inside of 3 ramekins. Divide spinach between the ramekins and dust with a little nutmeg. Crack an egg into each ramekin and season to taste, then add a dolop of the Mascarpone.



Pop the ramekins in a roasting tin and pour the boiling water into it, making sure it reaches up the sides of the ramekins. Cook for 8-10 minutes. I've added some fresh chopped cilantro to serve.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzana, these eggs look so delicious and decadent. I love marscapone! I will definitely try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

So pretty! Excellent for brunch. I love the use of mascarpone instead of cream.

Alice said...

That's what I love about Mark Bittman's recipes. So elegant in a simple/minimalist way. This is such a useful was to use up mascarpone, they look delicious! Good luck on the DB challenges! I'm looking forward to it! :]

Laurie Constantino said...

This looks really wonderful, and so easy. It's kind of a coincidence reading this as I've just been googling Bittman for the last half hour. I heard him on National Public Radio a couple days ago and the interviewer was asking about Bittman's technique for dry aging steak in the refrigerator. I couldn't find a recipe, but did find an audio of the NPR feed. I got frustrated trying to find the recipe, so came to your lovely blog for a mental break - and found more Bittman! Now I'm going to start aging my steak. Thanks for posting this great-sounding recipe.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment, Suzana. I'm glad you visited since I now discover your beautiful blog! The pictures are absolutely lovely and the recipes are scrumptious. O Gato Azul is an azulejaria I made a few years ago from a photograph of the original na Palacio da Fronteira. I learned how to paint azulejos from a Lisboete who came to Montreal to teach how to paint azulejaria. I love Portugal, and so I will visit your blog often, just to bask in the translucid Lisboa light.

Megan said...

This looks perfect for a lazy weekend brunch. I'm trying this for sure!

Deborah said...

I have never made baked eggs, but now I really want to because this looks amazing!!

Suzana Parreira said...

Hi Syrie, do try it - it's really good and so easy!

Hi Susan, I too love mascarpone. Brunch sounds good!

Hi Alice, thanks for dropping by. I'm looking forward to complete my first DB challenge - I'm so excited!!

Hi Laurie! What a coincidence! Hope you could find the recipe you're looking for. :)

Hi Gato Azul, thanks for explaining. I was rather curious about the tiles! Anything you need from Lisbon, let me know. :)

Hi Megan! I'm sure it will taste delicious for a lazy weekend brunch - you must try it.

Hi Deborah! It looks beautiful and I can assure you it tastes great. And so, so easy to make!

Anonymous said...

that looks scrumptious! yummy yummy I'll note this one down!

Cris said...

Perfect for kids, I just love this recipe Suzana! Will try soon!!!

Mansi said...

Eggs have never looked prettier Suszanna:) my first time on your blog and I'm glad i discovered it!:)

I'm hosting a Game Night Party recipes event on my blog; would be nice if you could send in an entry!

Anonymous said...

I'm def going to try this one. btw, your photos look amazing :)

Anonymous said...

Suzana, that looks amazing! And the photos? Oh my!

Anonymous said...

Simple, elegant, and so delicious-looking! I love egg and would love to try this out :)

Anonymous said...

How pretty your eggs look! And such a classic dish, too. Just lovely.

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, that sure does look delicious, Suzana. It is but an egg, but an egg I want to eat right now! Too bad I have just eaten breakfast!

Suzana Parreira said...

Hi bev! Thanks! Do try it - it's yummy.

Hi Cris! I'm sure your boys would love it.

Hi Mansi! Yes, those are pretty guys, or should I say handsome?? oh well, those eggs are great. Thanks for dropping by. :)

Hi Maryann! I always love your photos - I'm glad you liked mine.

Hi Michelle! Thanks! It was a beautiful light when I shoot them: bright and at the same time warm.

Joey, it's delicious and so easy to make. :)

Ann, it's pretty classic, isn't it? And so tasty!

Jenn, good you have to have breakfast everyday! :p