25.7.08

Luscious Berries

Raspberry Financiers

I don't think I've ever been so behind with my posting... No worries, this will be my only remark about time! I usually shoot whatever looks like a good recipe, a different version or a featured recipe. After that, I choose what to post without much thinking. Checking my recipes to post, I counted around 20 queuing... My mind was made: I will not shoot before posting at least half of those! Whilst reading Food Blogga I realized Susan was hosting Sugar High Friday, under the theme berries! I *just* love berries!! I wasn't entering until those raspberry financiers looked fitting to the theme, and I could keep my promise!

Raspberry Financiers*

Makes 8-10

5 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
5 Tbsp sliced almonds
2/3 cup superfine sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 large egg whites
pinch of salt
1/3 cup fresh raspberries
1/4 tsp rose extract, or to taste (optional)

Place the butter in a small saucepan over moderate heat until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Set aside. In a food processor, put the almonds, sugar, baking powder and flour, and pulse until no almond chunks are visible. Add the egg whites, lightly beaten with a pinch of salt, and the rose extract, and mix until smooth. Mix in the butter. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or best overnight.

Preheat the oven to 180ºC (360ºF). Stir the mixture briefly to deflate it. Spoon the batter into each mold and sprinkle with the berries over the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar to serve.

* Financiers, also called Friands, are small almond cakes, usually with a rectangular or trapezoid shape. Round molds can also be used, like muffin tins. I used heart shaped silicone molds.

I'm submitting my raspberry financiers to this month's Sugar High Friday, hosted by Susan at Food Blogga, and originally created by Jennifer at the Domestic Goddess.

6 comments:

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Financeiros de frambuesa são daqueles miminhos deliciosos que eu posso comer um atrás do outro. Como adoro amêndoa e ainda mais se se junta frambuesa à festa ainda melhor. Espero que a tua falta de tempo melhore rapidamente. Um beijinho.

Anonymous said...

Great minds think alike? Unbelievable how close I was to making raspberry financiers myself for SHF.

Now I am happy I chose something else - yours look so good, no way that I could have done such a good job on them.

Alexandra

Patricia Scarpin said...

These are so delicate and beautiful, Suzana! A great entry.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Hi Suzana!

I just love the delicate flavors and texture of these financiers. They must be really light since they're made with just egg whites too.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your que! :)

Chibog in Chief said...

i agree this is a luscious entry for sugar high friday event!!

Diana said...

Many thanks for the nice recipe.
Made with cherries -
aromatic and soft, great!
Sincerely, Diana